What can you do to help?
We need your help to fund vital Long Covid research
The more we understand Long Covid, the better our hospitals can treat it. With your support, our researchers can help improve treatment and quality of life for Long Covid patients here in Nottingham and across the UK.
Whether you have experienced Long Covid yourself, have an interest in respiratory conditions or have simply been in awe of the incredible care shown by our NHS staff – this is your chance to make a real difference to patients’ lives across Nottingham and beyond.
How your input helps?
With this Appeal, we want to raise £50,000 to fund critical research into Long Covid, with the team of researchers in Nottingham leading the way.More specifically, our Appeal will fund:
- A dedicated Long Covid Research fellow who will explore muscle fatigue in people who have been admitted to hospital with Covid-19 infection.
- The use of state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques to conduct Long Covid research.
- A project also using metabolic and inflammatory laboratory techniques to understand muscle fatigue in Long Covid patients.
- Guidance for improved rehabilitation and recovery programmes for people with muscle fatigue.
What we know about Long Covid so far
Long Covid can affect people in all sorts of different ways. It might be physical effects such as long term fatigue and chest pain, or psychological such as memory loss and depression. In our Long Covid Research Appeal, we will first look at muscle fatigue.
We also know:
- There is currently no proven treatment or healthcare intervention for Long Covid.
- Around 1 in 5 people testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 5 weeks or longer.
- Around 1 in 10 people testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 12 weeks or longer.
- At NUH we are seeing patients with symptoms lasting more than 3-6 months.
- Physical symptoms people experience extend far beyond just the lungs and can affect many other parts of the body. Typically people experience fatigue, breathlessness, difficulty concentrating, mental health issues and in some cases heart and kidney damage.With your donations, we can learn more about Long Covid and help speed up recovery for these people.
Nottingham is a national centre for excellence in respiratory research.
Your local hospitals are leading the way in Covid-19 research, including bringing together our world-renowned expertise in Respiratory Medicine, imaging techniques and rehabilitation as part of the new ‘Nottingham Recovery from COVID-19 Research Platform’ based here in the city.
Our teams in Nottingham are conducting Long Covid research that will lead to new and effective treatments. In particular, this means exploring the effects of the condition for people who did not have significant symptoms when they first caught Covid-19.
Your support will also help those suffering with the effects of Long Covid in Nottingham and right across the UK.